As 2018 looms many of us are considering our new year’s resolutions. From learning a new language to sprucing up the house, there are lots of different things you might want to do. But whatever else is on your list make sure to include taking care of yourself, not only inside but out. Celebrate the New Year by setting the goal to improve your hair care and try new hairstyles. From learning how to do a dutch braid step by step to how to keep your strands smooth all year long, here’s everything you need to know to achieve hair goals in 2018.
- Deep condition regularly: Our number one tip when it comes to getting great hair is to include deep conditioning treatments in your hair care routine. These are conditioning products designed to stay in the hair from anywhere between 3 minutes and half an hour. Apply while in the shower after shampooing – take a small amount, rub between your hands then spread liberally across the strands. For those with naturally oily hair focus only on the tips. Leave in for the stated amount of time then rinse off thoroughly. Doing so at least once a week should get your hair in tip top condition, keeping it healthy and soft in the long run.
- Cut every 6-8 weeks: Another key tip for ensuring hair health is to have regular cuts. Avoiding the hairdresser for long periods can lead to split ends and the dreaded frizz. Instead, make sure to book an appointment at least every 2 months. To help you remember try booking your next appointment at the end of each haircut. This is a great tip often recommended by hairdressers and well worth a try. Plus, by creating the habit to visit the hair salon regularly, when the time comes for a change in your look you’ll feel more confident!
- Colour as little as possible: While we all love a fresh head of highlights now and again, it’s important to remember the potential damage harsh dyes can do to our locks. Try to minimise the amount of times you colour your hair if possible. Aim to use gentle dyes with natural ingredients that gently moisturise the strands while colouring. And if you wish to go from dark to very light hair, make sure to do it at a hair salon, and bear in mind that bleaching your hair to perfection takes time and patience, in order to avoid long-term damage.
- Protect yourself from the elements: If you are starting a new hair care regime in January one of the most important things you can do is protect your hair from the elements. Without this, all your other styling may be in vain. Try a large hat or head scarf in silky fabrics (rather than cotton or linen as these can sap moisture). Wear it whenever your hair is likely to face the cold or harsh winds! And later in the year, when summer comes in, invest in UV-shielding products and in deep nourishing treatments to protect your locks from the sun and all those trips to the beach or pool.
- Reinvent your look and try new hairstyles: Finally, after achieving the healthy hair you always wished for, fight against hair-boredom in 2018 with different styles! Bold, elegant or both – just make sure you promise yourself ‘I will try a new hairstyle’. Self-pampering is not only visiting a spa or having a bubble bath by candlelight; it’s also celebrating your precious locks by embracing hair change – and you can do it for free! Take time to learn how to style your own hair in different ways, watch tutorials on how to do a dutch braid or how to use heat styling tools to your advantage, search for hairstyle inspiration… DIY hairstyling is the key in 2018!
These are our top tips to achieve hair goals in the New Year. With a bit of deep conditioning, regular cuts, hair protection and self-hairstyling you will be able to enjoy 12 months of great looking locks!
Brides-to-be visit my bridal make-up packages.