When we need to look a million dollars most of us head straight to our make-up bag and start applying. To get the right look we generally need to use a range of beauty tools and any self-respecting glamour puss will have an impressive array of tongs, brushes, sponges and similar to help get it exactly right. Sometimes however, we forget that our make-up tools needs a bit of TLC too. They make us look good and it’s only fair we help keep them in good shape as well. No one wants to preen themselves with tools that aren’t fresh. Here are our top tips on keeping all your beauty accoutrements in good order from how to clean a hairbrush to storage advice for tweezers.
- Hairbrushes: Hairbrushes are one of the most important tools in the beauty kit. Hair would get knotty and tangled in no time if we weren’t able to brush and smooth out our locks regularly. Make sure you know how to clean a hairbrush properly otherwise your brush might not be up to the job. For a full guide to learn how to clean a hairbrush see step by step here.
- Make-up brushes: Often neglected when it comes to beauty tool maintenance it’s absolutely vital that you clean make-up brushes at least every three months to prevent them building up dirt or bacteria. To do so rinse in warm soapy water and dry with a soft cloth making sure to rub only in the natural direction of the fibres.
- Hair dryers and straighteners: Electrical items can be a bit trickier to look after, but just like any other beauty tool they need some regular love. Be sure to have your dryer and straightening tongs checked for electrical safety regularly. Opt for models with in-built turn off mechanisms when they get too hot to help prevent over-heating leading to potential damage.
- Tweezers: A neatly plucked brow is important these days and most of us achieve this with a handy pair of tweezers. To keep yours in good nick always store it in a cool dry place. It’s often tempting to leave tweezers in your toothbrush holder, however these tend to be damp which can cause rust and blunting. A cupboard or dedicated holder bag is a much better option.
Those are our top tips when it comes to ensuring your beauty tools remain in tip top condition throughout their life. While we might not often think about the maintenance of these useful little things, a bit of effort now and then will keep your beloved hairbrushes, make-up sponges and tweezers working well long term.
As 2018 looms many of us are considering our new year’s resolutions. From learning a new language to sprucing up the house, there are lots of different things you might want to do. But whatever else is on your list make sure to include taking care of yourself, not only inside but out. Celebrate the New Year by setting the goal to improve your hair care and try new hairstyles. From learning how to do a dutch braid step by step to how to keep your strands smooth all year long, here’s everything you need to know to achieve hair goals in 2018.
- Deep condition regularly: Our number one tip when it comes to getting great hair is to include deep conditioning treatments in your hair care routine. These are conditioning products designed to stay in the hair from anywhere between 3 minutes and half an hour. Apply while in the shower after shampooing – take a small amount, rub between your hands then spread liberally across the strands. For those with naturally oily hair focus only on the tips. Leave in for the stated amount of time then rinse off thoroughly. Doing so at least once a week should get your hair in tip top condition, keeping it healthy and soft in the long run.
- Cut every 6-8 weeks: Another key tip for ensuring hair health is to have regular cuts. Avoiding the hairdresser for long periods can lead to split ends and the dreaded frizz. Instead, make sure to book an appointment at least every 2 months. To help you remember try booking your next appointment at the end of each haircut. This is a great tip often recommended by hairdressers and well worth a try. Plus, by creating the habit to visit the hair salon regularly, when the time comes for a change in your look you’ll feel more confident!
- Colour as little as possible: While we all love a fresh head of highlights now and again, it’s important to remember the potential damage harsh dyes can do to our locks. Try to minimise the amount of times you colour your hair if possible. Aim to use gentle dyes with natural ingredients that gently moisturise the strands while colouring. And if you wish to go from dark to very light hair, make sure to do it at a hair salon, and bear in mind that bleaching your hair to perfection takes time and patience, in order to avoid long-term damage.
- Protect yourself from the elements: If you are starting a new hair care regime in January one of the most important things you can do is protect your hair from the elements. Without this, all your other styling may be in vain. Try a large hat or head scarf in silky fabrics (rather than cotton or linen as these can sap moisture). Wear it whenever your hair is likely to face the cold or harsh winds! And later in the year, when summer comes in, invest in UV-shielding products and in deep nourishing treatments to protect your locks from the sun and all those trips to the beach or pool.
- Reinvent your look and try new hairstyles: Finally, after achieving the healthy hair you always wished for, fight against hair-boredom in 2018 with different styles! Bold, elegant or both – just make sure you promise yourself ‘I will try a new hairstyle’. Self-pampering is not only visiting a spa or having a bubble bath by candlelight; it’s also celebrating your precious locks by embracing hair change – and you can do it for free! Take time to learn how to style your own hair in different ways, watch tutorials on how to do a dutch braid or how to use heat styling tools to your advantage, search for hairstyle inspiration… DIY hairstyling is the key in 2018!
These are our top tips to achieve hair goals in the New Year. With a bit of deep conditioning, regular cuts, hair protection and self-hairstyling you will be able to enjoy 12 months of great looking locks!