Brides… Weddings…. Make-up…. oh no kissing…. champagne… laughter… tears of joy… HOW CAN I STOP MY MAKE-UP FROM SMUDGING?
This is a beautiful summer bride of mine from Summer 2017, and her stunning and vibrant images taken by Tony Gameiro award-winning Kent photography, reminded me just how much brides cry and laugh on the most magical, often emotional day of their entire life.
Weddings are cry-laugh days and these days can be a bit of a nightmare if you haven’t got your make-up sorted… here are three tips:
- Have tissues just in case… if you are a traditional bride – tuck it up in your garter. Remember to dab the tears preferably in a mirror as opposed to wiping or smearing across your face.
- If properly applied, make-up should have staying power – opt for waterproof mascara just in case.
- When it comes to lipstick… apply liner and primer, plus you can always spritz a fixing spray all over your face to set and finish your look giving it more staying power for those tears of joy and that nervous laughter.
My lovely bridesmaid from last month has allowed me to share her before and after photo of her make up I did for her.
Many people do not like to be seen without their make-up, but it isn’t anything to be afraid or ashamed of, I really see the beauty in all of my clients, and when I bring out that beauty with a natural make-up look, it is really great to be able to see the transformation of confidence.
This bridesmaid has suffered with burns on her cheeks from having to use steroid medication when she was younger, and as a result was left with very red cheeks and sensitive skin.
I used @airbasemakeup to give a very even and flawless coverage lasts all day. As you can see I have applied the make-up to completely reduce the redness and inflamed appearance of skin, but still creating a crimson blush look that all sexy bridesmaids need. Under the eyes have been focused on too, reducing dark circles. I have defined eyes and eyebrows to bring out her beautiful eye colour – that as you can see have an amazing sparkle of confidence in the after photograph.
Yummy Mummy food blogger and model Oreke, interviewed me for the iconic Mums that Rock section of her site… to read it click here: http://yummymummyuk.com/mums-that-rock-kelli-waldock-kent/
As a make-up artist and beauty therapist, I am constantly looking at new ways to blend colour and combine products… but as a businesswoman it is the mixing of professionalism and friendliness that is key.
I had great practise with customer service during my time working with VIPs and celebrities at Virgin Atlantic… here are a few key things to remember as a businessperson in the beauty industry…
- Remember to always respond to your customers in a polite and professional way, but that is sincere too… just like a bad fake tan application doesn’t look good and is difficult to get rid of, so is fake customer service… doesn’t look good and can tarnish your reputation.
- Remember never to make do with your make-up… okay is not good enough… follow the brief and ensure every client is happy that you have made them look the best they can.
- Remember that word of mouth is a powerful tool for any sole trader and small to medium business, so the more satisfied your clients are the more likely they will tell others about it and keep coming back for your services themselves too! Here is a testimonial from one of my brides, which reassures me that I am doing my job well in bringing out the beauty in my brides and clients. No one, especially a bride wants to be intimidated on their wedding day or like they have a stranger applying make-up… they want to feel relaxed and in safe hands.
“Sometimes you just get a really good feeling about someone, and Kelli was certainly one of those people for me. She has such a positive energy and I always felt comfortable in her company, from my initial meeting with her, through to my make-up trial and the wedding day itself. With Kelli helping us get ready on the morning it was just like having an extra friend there with you; she fitted right in and we had a genuinely enjoyable, relaxed morning. One of the things I love about Kelli is she (like me) is a perfectionist! She takes such pride in her work and won’t down tools until she’s 100% happy with the look she’s created on your behalf. I must admit throughout the wedding day I kept going off to the ladies’ to check my face in the mirror, fully expecting to have to make some touch ups – each time I went armed with some make up, but I needn’t have bothered packing any, because right up until I went to bed that night my make-up remained flawless! I loved the way Kelli made me (and the other ladies) look on the day – it felt like the most beautiful version of me I could achieve, and this is reflected in how much I like the photos of me from the day – normally I don’t feel photogenic at all! I feel Kelli brought out the best in all of us, and in a very clever, natural way – we didn’t look over-done or too obvious. It was perfect. Kelli also did my wedding manicure and five weeks later I’m still sporting unchipped nails – incredible! I will definitely be back to see Kelli and her team again for more treatments in the future. They’re all so lovely and it’s worth saying they’ve always been so responsive to my many messages, enquiries and questions along the way – the perfect mix of friendly and professional! Thank you xxx” Jo Regan
I love these beautiful neon coral #gelish fingers and toes all ready for my client’s #summerholiday #summertoes #summernails #gelishnails #holidaytime #whitstable #kent… this colour is a must for summer trends 2017… it literally goes with every outfit… bold reds and oranges, to pastels and then to plain greys, blacks and whites… an absolute winner!
Looking for a realistic bridal make-up look that enhances your own natural beauty without the need for re-touching? Read my piece in Brides Magazine.