As a makeup artist you tend to have your tried and tested, reliable products that are perfect for any shoot or bridal booking… I also love trying the new ranges available on the market and updating my bag of beauty tricks with new inspirational beauty products.
I’ve just tried out these Hydrolats from Base Formula in Rose Otto and Orange Flower. I love the fact that they are in a pump-action spray and totally plant and flower-based. The Orange Flower one smells amazing and when I sprayed it onto my skin it felt like a refreshing and revitalising mist. The neroli fragrance is quite calming but uplifting too, especially on aching flip-flopped feet coming into Summer. It’s in my bag and ready for my next early morning!
The Rose Otto Hydrolat feels quite moisturising and light. The rose fragrance is comforting and although it is distinctive, it is not at all overpowering. I like to use this one in the evening, either a quick spritz on my skin, or as a refreshing body mist after my shower or as a room spray. I love the fact that these aromatherapy sprays are natural and can be used with other natural products and creams. I don’t know about you, but I do love a bit of every day luxury and these sprays feel like a mini-holiday after a few hours on set. I will certainly be recommended these for brides to pack in their honeymoon case too.
Here is a link to the range of Hydrolats https://www.baseformula.com/hydrolats from Base Formula if you’d like to know more about them. I’m looking forward to trying out the lavender and chamomile ones too!
I love this inspiration from the Debra Lamb interview shoot I was recently on. Debra shared so many insights about her experiences in the acting business. If you haven’t already, check out the pics and listen to the interview here: INTERVIEW with Debra Lamb.
I especially like this hair and make-up look for Debra. It’s strong and feminine and really suits the modern Baroque inspired bodice and black and white fishtail gown she is wearing by Belinda – (known for her designs for Vivienne Westwood) on this shoot.
For Debra’s make-up;
- I started with a flawless airbrushing foundation and lightly worked in some bronzer along her cheekbones to add some drama and definition that is perfect for this look.
- I balanced Debra’s iconic berry lip colour with smoky eyes in a warm brown on her eyelids and worked a darker shade into the sockets.
- I used a dark liner and black mascara along the lower and upper lashes, which give a smouldering effect. I actually like this warm brownish amber tone for darker eyes but it works really well on green and blue eyes too.
- Debra’s hair is long so I have created tousled, dropped out curls using tongs – dry shampoo and spray is a must to get this really natural, sultry wave. The trick here, is not to brush the hair but to work with its natural movement. I clipped the sides back for one of the looks, which really highlights Debra’s cheekbones and draws attention to her dark eyes.
Have you tried this look on your clients? I’d love to see the results!
For anyone checking out my site for the first time here are some great places to start:
- Walking up the aisle, the last thing on your mind should be worrying about make-up! A Bridal Make-up trial is an important part of preparing a bride for her big day. Here’s how: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2017/10/10/what-is-a-bridal-makeup-trial/
- Not forgetting the bridesmaids, so they also look gorgeous while they’re rushing around making sure the Bride’s veil sits right and getting ready to catch the bridal bouquet: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2017/09/12/amazing-before-and-after-bridesmaid-picture/
- I love this classic Audrey Hepburn style. It’s timeless and works well for bridal make-up and for a sophisticated prom-look or a date with that special someone. Get the look here: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2018/02/14/get-the-1960s-bridal-look-inspired-by-audreyhepburn-perfect-for-valentinesday/
- Whether it’s long tresses or a short pixie cut, my hair-care tips will keep your hair in glossy shape all year round: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2018/01/02/new-year-hair-resolutions/
- If you’re in the business of building your beauty business then check out this video for extra inspiration: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2017/07/04/reaching-goals-takes-hard-work/
- Nails are the ultimate accessory and really add the wow factor to any outfit. Here are some of my high-shine glamour favourites, from classic French to festival neon, these beauties will survive hen parties, snowstorms and honeymooning days at the beach: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2017/09/18/gelish-dipandbuff-nails-really-do-last-look/
- I love working with olive skin tones, especially this inspiration for shimmer and glow bridal make-up: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2017/08/05/bridal-make-up-inspiration-for-olive-dark-skin-tones/
- And because the glamour doesn’t end there, here are some tips for glowing honeymoon makeup: https://kelliwaldock.co.uk/2017/12/11/ten-tips-for-glowing-honeymoon-makeup-for-yourkentwedding/
Go on grab a cuppa and check out these links…
It was amazing to work on set of the Debra Lamb shoot. It’s so much fun working together with a team of artists, prepping for an interview like we did this time. Photoshoots usually mean an early start and some commuter traffic, and still managing to be on time and friendly to everyone you meet when you get there! That’s why I like to pack my bag the night before and make sure all my brushes and beauty equipment are ready to go when I wake up! I also pack water or a light snack to keep me going till midmorning. Check out some of the pics from the shoot here…
Check out some of the final shots on my Portfolio page by photographer Russell Hand.
Debra’s interview is here… and yes you may hear me laughing with the other crew members in the background – a sure sign of a fab shoot day.
I did the make-up for Sarah (photo below) before she went to the London Pallidium for the Royal Variety Show.
This is based on a flawless foundation look, with key blusher and contouring, without it looking too made-up… combined with ultra strong lips in a bright colour trend, perfect for festive parties, and show-stopping strong eyes. This look is all about the parties, the dancing, the shows and the glitz.
“Loved it, felt amazing all evening thanks to you & Vicki Lord Session-Stylist 😘!! Thank you so much for doing it in your lunch hour, I love coming to see you fab ladies.”
Are you a Vixen bride or a Virginal bride? There is no rule book anymore when it comes to bridal hair and make-up, it really all depends on the modern bride’s preference and theme… READ MORE ON Bride Magazine
Hair and make-up artist: Kelli Waldock, www.kelliwaldock.co.uk
Photography: Dream Photography, www.dreamphotography2012.co.uk
Vixen model: Meg Lodge
Virginal model: Harriet
Being a bridal make-up artist, one of the questions I get all of the time is about make-up for the honeymoon – so here are my ten tops tips for getting that glowing honeymoon look… Check out the full article I work with the tips on Your Kent Wedding.
Hair and Make-up Artist: www.kelliwaldock.co.uk
Model: Meg Lodge